We live in a world where there are more then enough choices to make us happy, yet our generation is less happy than our grandparents. Why?
Happiness comes in many different ways. Sometimes it is as simple as whatever takes us out of our ordinary routine and gives us a little spark, a inside smile!
We are taught to develop and work within a routine and told to“do everything right”. Who says we were taught the right way? Quite often our own parents or grandparents pass on their own fears and inhibitions to us as the model of what is right – no fault of their own, they just didn’t know any other way. These inherited fears stunted our expressive juices; we need to wake them up!
For many years I let other people tell me what should make me happy. It took me a long time to get my own creative juices flowing and one of the first outward demonstrations of my inner happiness was to paint my walls green. Now when I wake up in the morning and look at my walls, my new furniture, I smile beamingly from the inside out. It was quite a journey to get to this point.
Misery Busting Action Item:
Do things differently today. It’s okay to start small.
Here are some ideas:
- Get up earlier or later than usual.
- Have something different for breakfast. If you want have lunch for breakfast!
- Take a different route to work, or ride your bike instead of drive.
- Talk to or smile at a stranger.
- Go to a fancy restaurant to eat or to a five star hotel for tea.
- Call someone you haven’t talked to in years – someone that makes you smile.
Tell me how do you dump your daily routine to restore your smile?